Effective Date: December 21, 2018
Last Updated: December 21, 2018
2. Information We Collect.
zone·tv may collect the following information from or about you:
Information You Provide To Us. We collect information you provide to us. For instance, when you register to use the Zone·tv Services, we may collect your name, email address, birth date, gender, in certain instances credit card information, billing address, ZIP/Postal code, and other information. In addition, zone·tv may collect information you provide to us when you respond to surveys, set your preferences, contact zone·tv through customer service or by other means, or participate in promotions that zone·tv may offer from time to time. zone·tv also allows multiple profiles to be set up under one account or Zone·tv App, so we may collect information you provide to us if you create a profile.
Usage and Log Data. We collect information when you use the Zone·tv Services, your interactions with us and our advertising. Examples of this information may include your IP address, device type, device ID, browser and software characteristics (such as type and operating system), location (which may include precise location data), activity on the Zone·tv Services including information about the Content you view on Zone·tv Services, page views, ad data, referral URLs, network state, device identifiers or other unique identifiers such as advertising identifiers (e.g., “ad-ID” or “IDFA”) and identifiers associated with browser cookies (see our description of “Cookies and Local Storage” below), and carrier or distributor information (e.g. Pay-TV operator). We may create a unique device or user ID for you and store it in a cookie, in local storage or in a server database so we can customize your experience based on your preferences and track various usage.
Data Collected Through Cookies and Similar Technologies. We may use various technologies to collect usage data and store preferences. These technologies are discussed below.
- Cookies. Cookies are small data files that are transferred to your computer’s hard disk or your device’s memory. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies to better understand how you interact with the Zone·tv Services or zone·tv advertising, to monitor aggregate usage by our users and web traffic routing on the Zone·tv Services, and to customize Content and advertising. These uses allow us to improve the Zone·tv Services.
Most Internet browsers automatically accept cookies. You can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. Please note that disabling cookies or deleting information contained in cookies may interfere with the performance and features of the Zone·tv Services, including the Video App. For example, we may not be able to store your preferences or customize the Content and advertising to your viewing habits.
- Web Beacons (also known as clear gifs or pixel tags). In addition to cookies, we may use other technologies such as web beacons or pixel tags, which can be embedded in web pages, videos, or emails, to collect certain types of information from your browser or device, check whether you have viewed a particular web page, ad, or email message, and determine, among other things, the time and date on which you viewed the Content, the IP address of your computer or device, and the URL of the web page or application from which the Content was viewed. Because web beacons often work in conjunction with cookies, in many cases, declining cookies will impair the effectiveness of web beacons associated with those cookies.
- Other Technologies and Local Storage. We use other technologies that are similar to cookies, such as browser storage, local device storage and plugins (e.g., HTML5, IndexedDB, and WebSQL). Because these technologies are similar to browser cookies, they are sometimes called “browser cookies or cookies,” even though they may be stored in different parts of your computer, set-top box, or connected TV device. Like cookies, some of these technologies may store small amounts of data on your device. We may use these and various other technologies for similar purposes as cookies, such as to enforce our terms, prevent fraud, analyze the use of our service, and manage your Zone·tv App profiles.
Please note that in some cases the technology or device (e.g. set-top boxes, connected TV devices) that you use to interact with the Zone·tv Services many not allow you to change the cookie or other technology settings.
- Software Development Kits (“SDKs”). We may use our own software or work with third parties including our business partners and service providers who use SDKs to collect information, such as advertising identifiers (e.g., “ad-ID” or “IDFA”) and information related to how devices interact with the Zone·tv Services. An SDK is computer code that application developers can include in their apps to enable ads to be shown, data to be collected and related services and functionality to be implemented. An SDK is in effect the app version of a pixel tag or beacon and may sometimes be called or referred to as a “beacon”. We may use this technology, for instance, to analyze how you interact with Content and advertisements and to enable analytics or other features through devices in which you interact with Zone·tv Services.
- Account and Profile Data from Third-Party Services. If you choose to log-in, access or otherwise connect to the Zone·tv Services, or contact zone·tv, through a third-party service (such as your Pay-TV operator, Facebook), we may, for example, collect your user ID and user name associated with that service, as well as any information you make public using that service. We may also collect information you have authorized the third-party service to share with us (such as your user ID, billing information, public profile information, email address, birthday, friends list, pages you have “liked” and other account and profile data).
- select partners that make our service available on their device or with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities;
- payment service providers who provide us with updated payment method information and updated personal information (e.g. name, address, email) based on their relationship with you;
- online and offline data providers, from which we obtain demographic, interest based and online advertising related data;
- publicly-available sources such as open government databases.
3. Use of Information We Collect.
- Use in General. We use the information we collect from or about you in order to help deliver the best possible user experience. Our use of this information may include the following:
- providing the Zone·tv Services;
- contacting you, including for promotional purposes;
- customizing the Content and advertising you view and evaluating how well the Content and advertising perform;
- identifying and/or customizing Content you might like;
- customizing recommendations;
- conducting research;
- compiling aggregate data for internal and external business purposes;
- preventing potentially illegal or harmful activities, including fraud;
- protecting you and our rights;
- any other purpose that is disclosed to you at the time we collect the information or that is related to a request made by you.
- Use of Payment Information. We may use payment information, such as credit card numbers and billing ZIP/Postal code, to help provide the Zone·tv Services. For example, we may use payment information to process your payments (Note, we use a third-party sales agent and payment processor to do this), to retrieve account information for a subscriber, to determine whether a subscriber is eligible for promotions, and to detect abuse of the Zone·tv Services.
- Use of Location Data. In order to access certain Zone·tv Services from your mobile device, you may be required to share your device’s precise location data (e.g., latitude and longitude) with us. In addition to providing you with certain Zone·tv Services, this also enables us to serve you Content related to your local area, depending on your subscription. This data may also be used to tailor advertising to you based on your location. To learn more about your choices with respect to our collection and use of precise location data, please see the information we have provided in Section 6 (“Your Choices, Including Opt-Out Options”).
4. Sharing Information with Third Parties.
We may share information collected from or about you with third parties as explained further below, including business partners, social networking services, service providers, advertisers, and other companies that are not affiliated with zone·tv.
- Business Partners. We work with a number of business partners who help us offer the Zone·tv Services, including, for example, our content providers, Pay-TV and other distributors, and other business partners.
- Social Networking Services. When you choose to share information with social networking services about your activities on the Zone·tv Services, including channels and shows you watch or like on zone·tv, information about you and your activities will be shared with that social network.
- Service Providers. We may share the information collected from or about you with companies that provide services to us and our business partners, including companies that assist with Zone·tv Services subscriptions, payment processing, analytics, data processing and management (e.g., to facilitate our targeted advertising and marketing efforts), account management, hosting, customer and technical support, marketing (e.g., email, online or direct mail communications) and other services.
- Your Browsers and Devices. We may work with service providers who use information collected from or about you to help us identify the browsers and devices you use for various purposes, including for targeted advertising, analytics, attribution, and measurement purposes. For example, these service providers (along with zone·tv) may use your activity on one browser or device to serve you with more tailored advertising on another browser or device. In connection with your use of browsers and devices, please note that certain opt out choices you have as described in Section 6 (“Your Choices, Including Opt-Out Options”) apply only to the specific browser or device from which you are able opt out.
- Advertisers and Advertising-Related Service Providers. We may share the information collected from or about you in encrypted, aggregated, or de-identified forms with advertisers and service providers that perform advertising-related services for us and our business partners in order to tailor advertisements, measure and improve advertising effectiveness, and enable other enhancements. This information includes your use of the Zone·tv Services, access to Content, websites you visited, advertisements you viewed, and your other activities online.
We advertise zone·tv both on the Zone·tv Services as well as on other platforms and services. We also display advertisements from other companies in Zone·tv Content and on the Zone·tv Services, sometimes enabling users to interact with the advertisements or click through to websites, movies, video-on-demand storefronts or other properties owned or operated by zone·tv or other companies. This section provides additional information about the collection and use of information from or about you in connection with such advertising.
To learn about opting out of interest-based or online behavioral advertising, please see the information we have provided in Section 6 (“Your Choices, Including Opt-Out Options”).
6. Your Choices, Including Opt-Out Options.
You have choices and controls over how your data is collected, used, and shared when you use the Zone·tv Services
- Collection of Information. You can stop the collection of information through the Zone·tv Services by uninstalling the Zone·tv App on devices in which you have installed a Zone·tv App, by unsubscribing to the Zone·tv Services, by not using the Zone·tv Services and/or by deleting your zone·tv account.
- Email and Text Messages. If you no longer want to receive certain communications from us via email or text message, you may opt out of receiving promotional communications from zone·tv by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in a particular promotional communication. Please note that you cannot opt out from receiving all communications from zone·tv, including administrative messages, service announcements, and messages regarding the terms and conditions of your account because those may contain important information.
- Push Notifications. You may have the option to receive mobile push notifications from zone·tv. If you subscribe to push notifications and subsequently decide you no longer wish to receive these notifications, you can use your mobile device’s settings functionality to turn them off.
- Interest-Based Ads. Interest-based ads are ads that are tailored to your likely interests based on your use of various apps and websites across the Internet. If you are using a browser, then cookies and web beacons can be used to collect information to help determine your likely interests. If you are using a mobile device, tablet, or streaming media device that includes an advertising identifier, then that identifier can be used to help determine your likely interests.
To opt out of interest-based ads from zone·tv in connection with an advertising identifier on a mobile device, tablet, or streaming media devices, please configure the appropriate setting on your device (usually found under “privacy” or “ads” in your device’s settings). You may still see zone·tv ads on your device, but they will not be tailored to your likely interests.
zone·tv supports the following self-regulatory programs, which provide additional privacy choices for interest-based advertising:
- Do Not Track. There is currently no consensus among industry participants as to what “Do Not Track” means and how to respond to “Do Not Track” browser signals. As such, we do not respond to such signals
California customers who want to request further information about our compliance with these requirements or would like to request a copy of information regarding our disclosure to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year or have questions or concerns about our privacy practices and policies may contact us at the contact information listed below.
7. Security and Account Access.
We use reasonable administrative, logical, physical and managerial measures to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and unauthorized access, use and modification. These measures are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risks of processing your personal information. Unfortunately, no measures can be guaranteed to provide 100% security. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Please note that if you allow others to use your account or Zone·tv App (including others you permit to set up profiles under your account or Zone·tv App), they may be able to view information about your account or any of the profiles, including information about the videos you view and your email address.
You must be 18 years of age or older to subscribe to the Zone·tv Services. In certain jurisdictions, the age of majority may be older than 18, in which case, you must satisfy that age in order to become a zone·tv subscriber. While individuals under the age of 18 may utilize the service, they may do so only with the involvement, supervision, and approval of a parent or legal guardian. We do not knowingly collect personally identifying information from anyone under the age of 13.
9. Third-Party Access Points, Devices, and Links.
The Zone·tv Services may be provided through third-party websites, applications, connected TV devices, set-top boxes and other means of access operated by other companies (collectively, “Third-Party Access Points”). For example, you can access the Zone·tv Services through websites or TV guides of our distributors. In addition, you may launch a Third-Party Access Point using various devices such as mobile devices, connected TV devices or Pay-TV operator set-top boxes. The Zone·tv Services also may contain links to third-party websites or applications. None of these Third-Party Access Points, devices, websites or applications are operated by us, even if they contain our name or logo, and we are not responsible for the privacy practices of their operators. Accordingly, we recommend that you review their privacy policies.
10. Deleting Your zone·tv Account.
11. Applicable Law.
zone·tv is headquartered in Canada and the Zone·tv Services are intended for users Worldwide. By viewing any Content or otherwise using the Zone·tv Services, you consent to the transfer of your information to the U.S. and/or Canada to the extent applicable, and the collection, storage, and processing of information under U.S. and/or Canadian laws as may be applicable.
13. Questions/Contacting Us.
If you have any questions about this policy, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send a letter to
Attn: Legal Department
1795 Ironstone Manor, Unit #4
Pickering, Ontario, Canada L1W 3W9.
We may reject requests that are unreasonable or not required by law, including those that would be extremely impractical, could require disproportionate technical effort, or could expose us to operational risks.